Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jam

This summer in Idaho has been a good for rasberries...mine anyway. We have had more rasberries than we knew what to do with. So, what do you do with lots and lots of rasberries? Make jam, of course! Last year I just froze a bunch of rasberries and gave away the rest, but this year, I wanted to be a little more productive. As an added bonus, I would be adding to my food storage without spending any more money, Hooray! (Well, I had to buy the pectin but I had everything else).


I did not want to make freezer jam, I wanted the stuff that will sit on the shelf for a long time. I called my mom to ask her what recipe she used but she wasn't home. So, I called the next best thing...Grandma. I called my Grandma Purcell and asked what recipe she used. "The one on the box of pectin," was her reply. Silly me...who would of thought to look on the box?


So, Blaine and I jumped right in and followed the instructions. After the first batch, we definitly needed a bigger pot to cook it in. Once the jam came to a rolling boil, it became molten rasberry. Very hot and was popping all over the place. Oh well, burns heal, right? Hehe!


The rasberries before I washed them. Click on the
picture and notice the little friend on the left hand side
of the picture.



Garrett was such a great helper! But what
7 year old doesn't jump at the chance to mash a whole
bowl of berries?







The finished product. Tasty. Set up just right.
Not too soft, not too gelatenous.


Overall, we were very successful. I have given some away and got great reviews. We even tried some ourselves. Garrett seemed amazed.


Garrett: "Wow Mom! This is really good!"

Me: "Thanks bud!" *contented sigh*



Now on to the beans...

3 comments:

Cindy said...

i never knew the famous razberry jam recipe came from the pectin box. she totally could have fooled us and said it was a secret family recipe handed down from her gramma :)

Beckie said...

OOh delicious little berries-- they will be good on the shelf! I've enjoyed them in my fridge-- thanks for sharing!

Jake and Krista said...

Growing up I never really appreciated grandma's raspberries, but now that I see that people pay $5 for those tiny little containers, They are truly a delicacy! Bear Lake is amazingly blue. I'm in awe everytime I go!!