Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

I have vowed this year to be finished with Christmas shopping by Thanksgiving. It would be the first time in history that I was done that early. I would really like to spend December doing things with my family instead of worrying about getting gifts. Not to say that this time of year isn't busy as well. Tonight we have parent teacher conference with Garrett's teacher. I am looking forward to it. From our end of things, this is a different child. I'm curious to see what his teacher has to say.




TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR:

1. The people who volunteer their time to be a leader for my son for scouts. I am not in love with the scouting program but my son and husband are. I am softening towards it and trying to keep a good attitude. Garrett's leader, or Akela as he calls her, does an awesome job with the boys. Garrett is so excited for scouts each week. I am so thankful for them and their service to my son.

2. I am thankful for the people who serve our country to keep us free and to help other be free. Garrett's scout leader just sent her husband off to Iraq for the 2nd or 3rd time. I am very grateful to him and his service for our country. I am also very grateful for her sacrifice of letting her husband serve. Thank you to all who are now or have served this great country.

3. I am thankful to live where I do. I am thankful to live in the United States. I am thankful to live in Eastern Idaho. I am thankful to have grown up on a farm. I am thankful for my home and my neighborhood. This is where I am supposed to be.

4. I am thankful for all of the freedoms I enjoy in this country. Freedom of speech and religion are huge for me. I am thankful for the opportunity I have to vote as well. I am thankful that I have a part in choosing who represents me in the government. Sometimes things don't always go as I would like (last presidential election) but I am thankful, nonetheless, that I have the right to vote in the matter.

5. Finally, I am thankful to have the opportunity to serve others. When I am wallowing in self pity, service is just the thing I need to boost my spirits. It takes my focus off myself and forces me to care about others. I am thankful for the people I can serve.



No comments: